Thursday, September 07, 2006

If you know anything ...

... about Facebook (check out this Wikipedia article for the basics), you know that it has always had a kind of "stalkeresque" quality to it.

If you know anything about Facebook lately, you know that it increased that quality by about 300% the other day: Inside the Backlash Against Facebook.

I'd like to know what the Facebook-using readers think. I appreciate Facebook in that it tells me when it is someone's birthday and I can keep up to date with my friends' email addresses and contact info. Plus, it helps me keep in touch with people I don't see very often.

On the other hand, it does seem to encourage people (even myself sometimes) to sit around and spy on other peoples' lives. Now that is even easier.

What do you think?

3 comments:

Silverstride said...

It really freaks me out that anyone can see when you were online and exactly what you we editing on the facebook, who your friends are, and what groups you were in. It was cool when your friends could see pictures and stuff but now its gotten to powerful! Down with newsfeed!

Chris said...

Yeah it's weird.. Besides being (what seems to me) bulky and obtrusive, it's just a silly update to their already good array of java-powered crap! Why change good crap?

Carlos said...

Yeah the new stalker-book was fairly irritating, though they've seemed to pull back from that position, at least offering the opportunity of what gets broadcast and what doesn't. In my mind they removed alot of the fun of checking people's profiles to see if you could figure out what changed.

Incidentally did you note there is also a facebook group for seminarians? There's at least 100 of us on there now, I seriously hope we don't waste as much time on this as the average person.